National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (November 11-19, 2017)
The Department of Social Work at Binghamton University’s College of Community and Public Affairs and the Southern Tier Homeless Coalition are again partnering to draw attention to the challenges of poverty through a Poverty Simulation, happening from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16 at the University Downtown Center.
The simulation experience is designed to expose participants to the realities individuals and families in poverty face, by having them assume the role of a low-income family member struggling to provide basic necessities and shelter over the course of a month.
Participants, may find themselves newly unemployed and facing eviction; a senior citizen unexpectedly raising grandchildren on a fixed income; or the victim of domestic violence seeking safety for themself and their young children.
The Simulation will be followed by a debriefing period to create space for participants to share their experiences and consider opportunities for change.
The event will be facilitated by Shari Weiss, community housing manager with Catholic Charities of Cortland County and moderated by Cassandra Bransford, associate professor, Department of Social Work, Binghamton University.
The Poverty Simulation will also incorporate a panel discussion from regional experts on local challenges and community efforts. Panelists include:
- Scott Beattie – assistant superintendent for instruction, Windsor Central School District
- Rev. Greg Johnson – senior pastor, Cornerstone Community Church; chaplain at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, and instructor with Broome County’s Re-Entry Program
- Majeedah Razzaq – intensive housing family advocate, Opportunities for Broome, and member of the City of Binghamton’s Community Development Advisory Committee
- Tonia Thompson – superintendent, Binghamton City School District
- Nancy J. Williams-Frank – commissioner of Social Services and Community Mental Health, Broome County
Plan to arrive prior to 6 p.m. start of the simulation, which will begin on time. Food and refreshments provided.